Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comcast 1TB Bandwidth Cap
In my area, you can only get internet from two companies. They are CenturyLink and Comcast. That doesn't leave me with much choice and ends up costing me a lot every month. In fact, I'd consider it a monopoly since each ISP uses a different medium to deliver internet connections. Comcast uses coaxial cable, and CenturyLink uses phone lines (DSL). Monopolies are supposed to be illegal in the United States. Cool story because that's a lie.

I get decent speeds through Comcast (over 100MBPS), but I can't enjoy that speed to its full potential because there is a 1TB bandwidth cap per month. Though this may seem like a reasonable limit, if you watch a lot of Netflix, stream a ton of content, download & upload a ton of files, and game a lot, it's very easy to get very close to this cap or potentially go over it which ends up costing a ton of money!

The internet should be open, free, and unlimited. It does NOT cost Comcast more money depending how much traffic their customers use. The notion that bandwidth is limited over the internet is complete nonsense. It has only been limited by ISPs to make more money. In this day and age where the Internet is our bread and butter, we should not be stifling innovation by setting bandwidth caps, limits, and traffic throttling. More and more services are launching on the internet, and more of these services will require more bandwidth as they grow.

Comcast should NOT have a data cap. No ISP should!