Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1&1 - DNS Glue Records System Broken - Unique IPv4 Address for Each Name Server
1&1's DNS system is broken!

If you create glue records within the 1&1 control panel, you can't use them as the name servers for your domain unless you map each record to a unique IPv4 address.

This is a self-imposed 1&1 requirement that makes no sense. There is no requirement anywhere in the DNS system that name servers must point to unique IPv4 addresses.

I should be able to use ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com as name servers that both point to the same IP address of say 1.1.1.1

However, if you do that in the 1&1 control panel, you'll receive this error:

[Image: 197_XT2NC8_1and1broken_generic.png]

If they'd only fix this problem, I'd transfer all of my domains to them. But for now, I have to stick with GoDaddy since 1&1 is broken.

1&1 doesn't even bother to offer email support anymore either! They want you to call their "technical experts" over the phone who don't seem to be interested at all in solving your problems. The support representative I spoke to said that he "doesn't see them changing this anytime soon". OK, well your control panel is broken, so keep believing that you're perfect 1&1. You just won't get as much of my business especially when you piss your customers off after they report a valid flaw in your control panel system.