Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports Hernia Groin Issues are NO Fun
I recently talked to an experienced sports hernia surgeon after an MRI revealed possible osteitis pubis and adductor longus injuries (a form of sports hernia / athletic pubalgia). The surgeon was very honest and said that sports hernias aren't understood very well in the medical profession. In fact, surgery doesn't actually solve the root problem. There are several procedures surgeons use for treating the symptoms (the pain), but no one knows how to fix the problem correctly.

Some methods in use by surgeons include:
  • Cutting the ilioinguinal nerve
  • Cutting and re-attaching the adductor muscles / tendons
  • Reinforcing the core muscles with mesh
The effectiveness of each treatment remains unknown. Most athletes will probably have their ilioinguinal nerve removed, but that just makes the pain go away. There are still problems that may or may not get worse with time. And, how that ultimately affects you remains unknown.

I was also told that Dr. Meyers doesn't let anyone in the medical world see or know how his surgeries work. Another clinic in Munich Germany apparently operates the same way. That either means that they alone have discovered the perfect cure or that they're running a complete scam.

Evidently, there's also a minor risk associated with inguinal and sports hernia operations that might cause you to lose a testicle. I don't think I'm going to get surgery done anytime soon.

Looks like I'm going to have to treat this any way I can myself, and until it's better, I guess I'm done with demanding sports.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sports Hernia Groin Issues are NO Fun - by frogman - 02-22-2018, 10:27 PM