Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports Hernia Groin Issues are NO Fun
I believe I have a sports hernia from playing soccer. A sports hernia is not your typical hernia. In fact, there isn't even a bulge sticking out of your body. Instead, it's a bunch of invisible tears in the core muscles of the abdomen area.

Here's a good explanation describing the sports hernia.

It's mainly a bunch of pain after running or switching directions. My groin would be sore for hours after playing a soccer game. The entire area was tight. I've since stopped in an effort to heal, but it's taking forever. Some people online claim it never heals without surgery. They might be right, but fixing sports hernias through surgery seems to be quite risky, and there are only a handful of skilled surgeons out there the internet recommends such as Dr. Meyers & Dr. Brown.

Due to this condition (which maybe I don't have, but since doctors don't seem to actually want to diagnose my problems using science and tests without costing me a fortune, I have to make my own diagnosis [how embarrassing]), I'm unable to play soccer at my young age.

I'm doing cold laser therapy, acupuncture, and my own version of physical therapy to possibly help. Things have improved, but it is taking a long time. On top of that, I think I have a higher up abdomen strain from lifting too much. Never take your body for granted. You never know when all of sudden all of these minor injuries add up and become something serious. Every part is important.

Here's to hoping I will recover soon. Cool

In terms of dealing with the pain, it does seem that core shorts really do help. When I wear these, I really don't seem to agitate my injury further (I'd recommend that you wear a sports brief underneath them for added comfort). I'd recommend it if you're coping with such an unfortunate issue.
I recently talked to an experienced sports hernia surgeon after an MRI revealed possible osteitis pubis and adductor longus injuries (a form of sports hernia / athletic pubalgia). The surgeon was very honest and said that sports hernias aren't understood very well in the medical profession. In fact, surgery doesn't actually solve the root problem. There are several procedures surgeons use for treating the symptoms (the pain), but no one knows how to fix the problem correctly.

Some methods in use by surgeons include:
  • Cutting the ilioinguinal nerve
  • Cutting and re-attaching the adductor muscles / tendons
  • Reinforcing the core muscles with mesh
The effectiveness of each treatment remains unknown. Most athletes will probably have their ilioinguinal nerve removed, but that just makes the pain go away. There are still problems that may or may not get worse with time. And, how that ultimately affects you remains unknown.

I was also told that Dr. Meyers doesn't let anyone in the medical world see or know how his surgeries work. Another clinic in Munich Germany apparently operates the same way. That either means that they alone have discovered the perfect cure or that they're running a complete scam.

Evidently, there's also a minor risk associated with inguinal and sports hernia operations that might cause you to lose a testicle. I don't think I'm going to get surgery done anytime soon.

Looks like I'm going to have to treat this any way I can myself, and until it's better, I guess I'm done with demanding sports.